Thing 21:Digital Legacy


Thing 21 -Digital Legacy

These are the questions I have been asking myself whilst completing this badge.
What will happen to all the information I have put online once I die ?
Should I put someone in charge of this, either to keep things updated or delete?
Who would this person be ?
Who would I trust enough to give this person access to not only my social media accounts but my bank accounts ?


I began this badge by watching the video https://digitallegacyassociation.org/  and reading the article at https://www.lawscot.org.uk/members/journal/issues/vol-60-issue-03/our-digital-afterlife/ published in the journal of the law society of Scotland. I would never be looking after anyone in my present job who would need help with their digital legacy so I was looking at this from the point of view of what I have online and what would happen to all this information after I die.Also I may have a career change in the future so this information is helpful.

I then downloaded the digital legacy associations media will template.I did not fill this in yet as I don't know how I feel about having this information written down for security reasons but I have a saved copy on my desktop if I decide in the future to fill this in. 

I was then to explored  a guide from each of the three categories.From Hardware/device guides I chose computer and laptop guide https://digitallegacyassociation.org/computer-laptop-guide/.
From social media guides I chose both Facebook https://digitallegacyassociation.org/facebook-tutorial/ and Instagram https://digitallegacyassociation.org/instagram-guide/ as I use both these platforms the most. From the other category I looked at online banking.

From this I understood that my husband would be able to gain access to all the data on my phone as he knows my phone passcode so he would be able to save pictures after my death. He would be able to delete most app information as the password is remembered in the phone. 

I went into the Facebook app and changed settings to set up someone to look after my digital legacy. For Instagram however I don't back up my pictures so I have a chance that I could lose all this information at anytime. My Instagram is private so only people I have chosen can see it so if it cant be wiped after I'm gone I am not worried about the content out there.

The banking situation is a little different as its a joint account and my husband actually takes control of that so I need to take a little more interest in that incase he dies before me.

My work does not have a digital legacy policy as we look after children who do not have a digital presence online.

Doing this badge made me think of my digital legacy and the changes I need to make to look after my affairs.

So as Bob Dylan once wrote and Nick Cave sings so calmly
Not the end, not the end
Just remember that death is not the end
Not the end, not the end
Just remember that death is not the end

So we will be gone but our social media presence lives on 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 18 Social Media #2

Thing 20:Collaboration