5.Social Media #1





At work these last few weeks we have been reviewing and updating some of our policies.One of the policies that we have been reviewing is our social media policy. I am very familiar with this policy as I use social media a lot at home.

I can understand the need for companies to have these guidelines/policies so that staff know what is regarded as acceptable behaviour both professionally and personally on social media sites. Also each individual in social care has a  responsibility to keep to the Codes of Practice for their registration with their own professional registration.
 As a Early Years Practitioner my government body is SSSC and I need to behave in an appropriate manner which is consistent with my membership of this professional body.

Part of SSSC codes of practice states that I must not :
5.8  Behave, while in or outside work, in a way which would bring my suitability to work in social services into question.

This is also the extract that my company puts into their social media policy as guidelines for the way we should conduct ourselves whilst using social media.

Whilst using Facebook or other social media sites I am aware that unless carefully managed social networking sites may expose my beliefs and attitudes to an unlimited global audience including employers ,colleagues, professional contacts and service users. As they are my beliefs and just opinions not everyone is going to agree with me.I would not want anything I have posted to be construed or viewed as discriminatory, prejudicial or offensive in any form.This is why I must meet the codes of conduct expectations of my profession, registration, organisation and employer .

I know who my friends are on Facebook and anything I post on Facebook can only be viewed by my friends. The problem with social media is screenshots can be taken or things shared to others ,this is why you never know your full audience for each post. This means that something you share could be seen by employers or service users.

Another part of my SSSC registration and codes of conduct states that I must not:

 5.4 Form inappropriate relationships with people who use the services or carers.

As such my place of work does not consider it acceptable professional behaviour for employees to initiate or accept friend requests from service users/formal service users or family members of service users past or present. I agree with this policy but I know that some of my colleagues don't as they see it that the children have left and they have became friends with the parent so what harm can it do?

Personally I feel it is crossing a line and by making this step it will then become much harder for you to maintain other professional boundaries. Also what if you have been behaving in a professional manner and then you show a more personal side and the ex service user doesn't like that side of you and their opinion changes of you. One wrong step in social media may cause you an embarrassment but even worse it could jeopardise your job. This is why boundaries must be not be crossed.

If used wisely and settings set correctly social media can be a fun experience and can be used as a learning tool and as a place to promote yourself and your workplace. Its all about the balance.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 18 Social Media #2

Thing 21:Digital Legacy

17:Open Educational Resources