Thing 12:Apps #1


An app is a term for a software application, and it is most often used in reference to a mobile app or a small piece of software that runs on a website.

Having apps to support your practice are great but when using these tools they are only as good as the user.
From the list I was to choose from I picked  https://www.talkingmats.com/product/talking-mats-taster/. The only other relevant one to my practice was the  Medication Administration– SafeMed but when clicking on the URL the app was not there for me to look at. We use a range of devices and strategies to help the children communicate so this is an ideal choice for me to explore. 
I have previously been giving a little training on talking mats where I work and the training was interesting and was easy to understand and follow instructions from. It was delivered in- house by our speech and language staff member who had undergone the training online. I have not used it for a while so I used this app for some refresher training. 
Finding the app was easy to find and install. Once installed I used the cards down the side panel to put my things that are going well, sometimes going well and not going well into the three subheadings. My thought process behind these choices were things I liked, didn't like and things I was on the fence with. 

The children I care for do not communicate verbally and some have severe and complex needs so to move the boxes over could be challenging if not impossible for some.If possible this on an eye gaze or switch adapted would be a good communicating tool. The app was easy to use on a tablet and I can see its uses. The children and young adults at the centre just now wouldn't be able to understand the categories or have comprehension what they were to do so its not suitable for their needs. However this may benefit a  child or young adults starting with us in the future. The children that we have used this with previously have since left the centre. 

So looking at the following areas :


  • usefulness

  • ease of use

  • accessibility

  • value for money (if you have paid for app)

  • security
Usefulness-The intension of Talking Mats is to improve the lives of people with communication difficulties by increasing their capacity to communicate effectively about things that matter to them. So yes I think that it is a useful tool to help people communicate if the people delivering the programme are trained to use it effectively. I don't think it has to be hi tech and could be used in a paper copy version using things like boardmaker. It is not a communication use designed for everyday conversations so I feel that there may be other better apps ,communication tools out there such as by using a  Podd book.



Ease of use-very easy to use and to build on by buying the package if required.

Accessibility-very easy accessable and as I said if it could be adapted for using things like eye gaze or switches which would help people with more complex needs to communicate.

Value for money-If I had entered my email I would have received more symbols to use to explore a bit further before purchasing. It is £125 per pack which I don't think is that expensive if that can be used with a few people. If each symbol was to be made using boardmaker the man power behind that may be more although you would be able to make them at the pace required per user and symbols required.

Security-I felt that there was no security issues involved in using this app as all personal data was hidden away.So data security is always maintained. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 18 Social Media #2

Thing 21:Digital Legacy

17:Open Educational Resources