9.The Cloud



 What is the cloud ?

Well the cloud is a network of remote servers hosted on the Internet and used to store, manage, and process data in place of local servers or personal computers.


To start understanding how to store and access data in the cloud I accessed and read the article at  https://mashable.com/2013/08/26/what-is-the-cloud/?europe=true.  

I would have said that I don't use the cloud but after reading this article I realised that as I use Instagram that I am uploading pictures to the cloud just about everyday.
At home I have used drop box to share files with my family and music with friends. It is a quick and easy way to share files. I accessed my phones Google drive which I previously had switched off .I put the settings to on and my plan offers 15 GB of storage. I uploaded 2 songs and an image to it which was really quick and easy to do.I then accessed this from a home computer and it was relatively easy to do. I don't mind my pictures being stored in the cloud but I don’t like the idea of any of my personal  information being stored anywhere but in my own hands. 

At the centre where I work I spoke to our Human Resource manager and asked what information we stored if any to the cloud at our establishment. I was informed that in keeping in line with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)  we do not use the cloud to save any private or sensitive information. The only thing that is uploaded to the cloud is the children's photographs of them carrying out their everyday experiences at the centre. All our iPads are synched to upload the pictures each night to the cloud. All other information is saved to a secure network which not everyone is allowed to access. We have to keep all information for a few years and we feel this is the safest method of storing and securing this data. The risk to storing this type of data in the cloud is that is subjected to  unauthorised disclosure or access, malicious activities targeting the service provider - eg hacking or viruses and as such it is a security practices which compromising data protection

As such I feel that the cloud although having many advantages in our everyday home life I feel that it does not have a place in the care setting where I work. Not using it at work safeguards the users information and is in accordance with the services use of data protection. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 18 Social Media #2

Thing 21:Digital Legacy

17:Open Educational Resources