10:Podcasts





I am aware of podcasts and how to access them from various sources such as on a mobile phone or computer. My favourite podcast is The DIS Unplugged podcast which is a weekly roundtable discussion that discuss all aspects of planning a Disney holiday. After music this is my second hobby visiting Disney all over the world. This site is very informative with crowd capacity, new ride openings and you actually feel like you are having a family discussion when you listen to them. 

Now moving on to Podcasts that actually help me with my role as an Early Years Practitioner. As I have said in previous blogs one of the conditions that many of the children and young people that I work with have is Cerebral Palsy so one of the podcasts that I felt was very interesting was  https://soundcloud.com/bmjpodcasts/how-to-manage-cerebral-palsy

Why I thought this was interesting was that although I have worked with these children and young people for 6 years I mentor students who are studying HNC in Childcare or Social Care and I feel that I would play this to them to give them a basic understanding of how Cerebral Palsy may be diagnosed. The roles that we all play in helping to identify strategies to help the child develop and also to support the parents.
 The host of the podcast interviewed Neil Wimalasundera, a consultant in paediatric neurodisability at Great Ormond Street Hospital. Although very knowledgeable in his field he kept his answers to questions simply and jargon free therefore everyone would be able to understand and it wouldn't be over peoples heads. A full summery of what the podcast covers can be found in the article at https://www.bmj.com/content/349/bmj.g5474.full

One of the apps that I downloaded to my phone was Player fm where I was interested in this podcasts  https://player.fm/series/accessibility-minute-with-laura-medcalf/am350-thermacell-rechargeable-heated-insole This podcast takes a look at devices and tools to help people with vision, mobility, hearing or other special needs. Some of the children and young people that I work with have problems regulating their temperature through their body so I thought that the heated insoles were interesting. If I think that any product would be of interest it tells me were to buy it. The blogs are only a minute long and ok its wanting you to buy a product but it has given me ideas that I hadn't thought about before.

I feel that podcasts are a great learning tool to further develop my knowledge in the care setting where I work. I can listen to them anywhere and can pick up where I left things if I don't get the one I am listening to finished in one sitting. I can use them to mentor students and also share knowledge and ideas with my work colleagues. It is easy and quick to search for topics that I am interested in and I will definitely be using podcasts in the future. 























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 18 Social Media #2

Thing 21:Digital Legacy

17:Open Educational Resources