8:Facebook






In the last two weeks I have completed the badges 5:Social Media #1 and 6:Digital Security and whilst completing these badges I had previously spent some time reviewing my Facebook settings. Most of my profile is locked down so that only friends can see what I post. The only thing that anyone can see when they log onto my page are my profile and cover photo. Each time when I renew a new cover or profile picture I always go into settings and then mark the previous picture as friends only. This way I can control exactly who sees my pictures and when.

My blogs on these two badges can be found here:
https://sssc23challenge.blogspot.com/2019/11/5social-media-1.html

https://sssc23challenge.blogspot.com/2019/11/6digital-security.html

As instructed I  downloaded the sample page for Sarah Smith at  http://23digital.sssc.uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Sarah-Smith-Social-Media-Profile.pdf and lets just say I am glad this person is fictional if she was working in social care. Where to start with the problems on this page. As there are a few issues:

1:Sarah has comments regarding her work where if she worked in social care her workplace would have a strict social media policy in place. She also wouldn't be following the SSSC codes of practice .
2.She has also stated where she works which once again would be stated not to do in her works social media policy.Also with the complaints she has commented about her job and naming her place she is definitely not being professional.
3.She is giving away personal information about herself (full date of birth) that anyone could use to steal her identity. She could keep her date of birth ,marital status and where she lives private.
4.She has shared a Britain First picture. Britain First campaigns against multiculturalism and keeping Britain only for the British. Therefore in her role she needs to show a non judgemental attitude to different cultures, religions and race.
So maybe if Sarah Smith had completed the SSSC badges on social media and digital security she would be aware of the detail she has given out. She should be aware of the social media policy were she works thou and be following the SSSC codes of practice.

On Facebook I use a few closed group pages to keep up to date with the bands that I go see live. I share pictures at the concerts I attend, reviews and setlists. Although I know that these groups are closed and it means that only members of the group page see them I still watch exactly what I am posting. One of the groups I follow are The Alarm who have a membership of 3.6k members so I don't know everyone on this page so I don't know who exactly I am showing pics to or putting out a status to. As I always say to myself before posting stuff "if in doubt don't put it out ".
I have also started a few closed groups with family or friends to arrange holidays or nights out. Once again these groups are closed, I don't post on any publicly open accounts on Facebook except maybe on  competition pages and that is usually just to like and share a picture. Once again I am always aware of the content I am sharing.

I did read the two articles suggested at
https://www.facebook.com/help/437104639663805
https://lifehacker.com/facebook-groups-are-underrated-heres-how-to-make-them-1660643691 as I had previously used  Facebook groups before I didn't learn anything here as I was aware of the settings and what the benefits are to using groups. I do enjoy using groups as I can go directly to what I am looking for instead of having to scroll through a lot of newsfeed.

I wouldn't change any way that I use Facebook as I feel my settings are safe. As I am aware no settings can guarantee confidentiality but I am confident that everything I have ever shared on line follows the SSSC codes of practice for service users and employers. I am following my workplaces social media policy and I am not breaching any of this policy. I don't post on Facebook a lot but the way I use Facebook will probably not change any in the future .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 18 Social Media #2

Thing 21:Digital Legacy

17:Open Educational Resources