7. Finding Resources



To cover all the criteria to achieve the SSSC 7:Finding resources badge I had to explore the online digital library provided for the social service workforce in Scotland by NHS Education for Scotland at http://www.ssks.org.uk/ . To gain full access to the site I had to register for my own account at https://www.athensregistration.scot.nhs.uk/. I filled in all my details to open my  account on the 19th of November and the next day I was sent a verification code. However this code didn't work and I had to send an email to receive another verification code this time it worked and I got logged in easily.

By the 21st of November I had full access. On this day I used SSKS to search for appropriate articles on cerebral palsy in children. SSKS library function allowed me to alter my search between eBooks and ejournals which made finding resources easier.

I also used google to search for some articles, however on using this I found there were too many results. So I then used google advanced and used the features of last added and regions  to cut down on the amount of articles that it showed. This then showed the newest articles and the ones that related more within the UK. My key words were cerebral palsy, children, rehab and physical therapies. The results that came back mostly included companies, which can be a biased source of information. To counteract this I used google scholar which returned journal articles and research which were unbiased. 

From the articles returned the ones that I were most interested in were the ones about parents experiences of participation in physical activities for children with cerebral palsy. Most of the children were I work have cerebral palsy in some capacity and we have to facilitate a plan for each child's physical needs. We ask both the service user and the parents what their aims are using the different therapy sessions that we do at the centre. We provide rebound therapy, hydro therapy and physiotherapy.We are a school so we also provide education. It is a lot of boxes to tick so it can be very challenging yet a very rewarding job. We always provide the best service possible for each user always giving our all.The findings in each article were interesting and appropriate to my practice. The parents also answered the same way that most of our parents answered that they are looking for a peer group and a good accessible and tailored physical activities for their child.


I did not use Wikipedia as a resource as this can be openly edited and is not trust worthy for reliable information.

This badge has made me more aware of how to return appropriate and reliable information. I now know how to narrow down searches which allows me to find what I need quicker.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 18 Social Media #2

17:Open Educational Resources

Thing 21:Digital Legacy