15:Video chat and webinars



SSSC 15:Video Chat and Webinars



Personally I am very experienced in taking part in video chats such as on platforms like skype, Facetime and WhatsApp. I used these a lot a few years ago to keep in contact with my daughter who went to work in Australia for a year and a half. This brought me peace of mind knowing that she was safe and although sometimes the connection would fail or there would be delayed speech I enjoyed our chats keeping up with her adventure. 
I mainly use WhatsApp now to have family chats with both my girls so we can watch the antics that my two year old granddaughter is getting up to. We used to all be apple phone users and used Facetime all the time but we have all went on to android phones so can no longer use this feature. Although I use it privately I have never used it at work.The reason I would not use it at work is that all communication is done through email, over the phone or face to face. One of the reasons for this could be child protection issues and we cant be sure that no information about a child could be seen when we are using this. Taking part in a web chat could give away information with visuals around the room that you are sitting in. Also webcam footage can be recorded and then potentially shared online. As we have a duty of care we can not compromise anyone's safety. My place of work have never came up with any opportunities to when we would use this but I know that it has advantages of saving travel time for everyone getting together, skype and facetime are also free and instant.

I downloaded google Hangout to my phone but as I had no connections who used it I cannot comment on how good it would be. I feel though that it wouldn't offer me anything that WhatsApp already gives me. 

As a team we have watched various pre-recorded webinars .Only last week we watched  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2bOqen_J2Q. This is part of our shared practice. The SLT within our school had attended the conference and felt that it was very relevant to our practice and would open discussion to help us further develop the use of literacy for the children at our school. I really enjoyed watching this webinar as it was very interesting and gave me a different way of thinking about literacy and really looked at how we could aid development by having a different starting point which would open up more vocabulary for the child in the longer term.

For my own independent learning I have looked at webinars previously. For example when taking part in Thing 12 :Apps#1 I watched these web videos on talking mats
Although these videos are short they gave me a visual on how to use these resources with the service user. This is a better way for me to learn rather than just reading about something.

My next challenge at work is to develop a sensory therapeutic garden for the children at the centre. As I am leading this I used the internet to source ideas on how to progress in this. We have a blank canvas so I didn't know where to start .I came across a webinar that I watched at home and then showed to the group that are going to help me to achieve this. The staff I showed it to felt it was as interesting as I did and it was easier for me to show them than to try and explain what I took from the video. The link to this webinar is https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=611&v=w28FkNOzkqM&feature=emb_logo garden.

I have never taking part in a live webinar and I feel that that could be my next step. I would do this at home in the comfort of my own home so that I would not compromise anyone's safety within the workplace







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thing 18 Social Media #2

17:Open Educational Resources

Thing 21:Digital Legacy